Sunday, August 28, 2011

2 Months!

I've been in Taiwan two months today! It's crazy how time flies. I'm already 1/3 done with my time here.
Just so you get a feel for how my time at the preschool is going. This is the 3 year old class's attempt at making an H with everyone. About two minutes after this, every kid was piled up on top of the chinese teacher. She was brave to lay down to help complete the H. 


The 4 year olds are a little bit easier to handle. They just lay down and then we drag them to the right place to make the letter. They really love this game, and always giggle a lot when it's their turn to be dragged. The tricky part is getting them to stay put once they're where they're supposed to  be.


This was flying around the office, so I caught it. I showed it to the kids during class. We were playing a game with an elephant toy that blew fake butterflies out of it's trunk. I showed them this real butterfly along with it. So far, whenever I catch a little critter, it goes along well with the lesson being taught.


This last week I didn't have quite as many tutoring students so I was able to go out before the sun had set one of the days. One of my favorite things to do here in Hualien is just get on my bike and go explore. A lot of times I get lost, but I think trying to get un-lost again is part of the fun.


Saturday I wanted to see the ocean because the waves were supposed to be really big. Apparently the ocean was closed. A typhoon is coming in and is supposed to hit Sunday night or Monday morning and might last all the way until Thursday. So far it's just been raining a lot. Thankfully we were still able to go to church, but school is canceled for tomorrow. 


I was able to still see the ocean by going up on a bridge that wasn't blocked off. Back at the preschool we had to tie all the playground stuff down so it wont blow away. It's quite the job just preparing for the typhoon.


When the typhoon hits, we just have to sit inside all day and wait for it to be over. If it was like a snow day, you could at least go out and play in the slow. But a typhoon is different, it's too windy, wet and dangerous and to go out and play.

2 comments: