Sunday, August 7, 2011

Single Awareness Day

This last week was pet week, and it was pretty fun actually. Wednesday everyone brought their pets to school. One of the dads brought a ton of pets. He taught them about how to hold them, and then let 2 birds, 3 bunnies and 2 hampsters loose for the kids to hold. At one point I had a bird on my shoulder, and was trying to give a hampster to one of the kids. They wanted to hold them so bad, but were kind of afraid to take them. We also made pet rocks. A lot of the kids had fun mixing the paint so much that they painted their rock the color of rock brown. I've realized that painting is a craft for the very brave teacher. Why? Because the kid, the classroom and the teacher all end up with paint all over them, and not enough time to clean up the mess.

 

Friday I went to the movies with some friends. We saw Captian America. This is some wintermelon tea, which is word of wisdom ok. The dark stuff on the bottom is tapioca balls. When it has the balls in it, they call it bubble tea. It was very good.


Saturday was Valentine's Day here in Taiwan. Kim and I went with two ladies, Mia and Ying to Liyou lake. This was just a cool marble sculpture by the visitor's center.


This is Kim, Ying, Mia and me on a bridge walkway.


We went on a trail that went around the lake. There was a path that went almost straight up the mountain. Kim and I went on it. It was fun being in the jungle. I ran part of it because we only had 20 minutes. I saw a spider as big as my hand and a small snake skit out of my path as I ran by. There were also lots of cool sounds. I was hoping to see some monkeys, but I didn't.


After I had ran to as high as we had time to go, I took a picture. I was a bit tired, hense the interesting expression. I dont think I have ever sweat more in my life. It felt like I had jumped into a swimming pool I was dripping so much. But it was worth it to run in the jungle!


This is a view of the lake which was completely surrounded by beautiful mountains.


After our little hike, we went to a fishery. I'm not a huge seafood fan, so I thought I would have to gag down the food. But surprisingly I actually liked everything we had there. Maybe my taste buds have changed from all the weird foods I've been trying lately. We had balls that were made our of clam and fish, little clams, veggies with clam, and fish with lime. It was actually pretty fun to pick the clam meat out of their shells with chopsticks.


This is a very big spider that we saw by the lake. It was almost as big as my hand! One of the ladies we were with, Ying, is studying to get her PhD. She said when she studies she sees them in the corners of her room. She doesn't try to get rid of them because they eat cochroaches and misquitos. They're not poisonous, but I don't think I would be ok with living with them.


No comments:

Post a Comment