Sunday, August 21, 2011

Taroko and Seven Stars

I'd been wanting to go to Taroko Gorge ever since I've arrived in Taiwan, and this Saturday I got to go! It was so amazing. This is the famous Taroko Gorge archway sign thing, so of course we took pictures there. Christina took us (me, Adam and Josh). We saw giant spiders, monkeys, lots of butterflies and a gorgeous view that even the scenery in Avatar has a hard time measuring up to.


This sign made me smile. It says, "What a spectacle except for the dam"


These things are huge, and they were everywhere. They're fast too. I threw a leaf into it's web, and it was on top of that thing in the blink of an eye. We were going to feed it a caterpillar, but the caterpillar was very persistant on staying alive and went to the other end of the stick we were holding it with. We went on a trail through part of the jungle, and we held sticks in front of our faces just to be sure we didn't get a mouth full of spider web.


This is a cool bridge that's suspended a bunch of feet over a very blue river. There was a trail at the other end that required a permit to go on it, so we turned around and went back on the bridge again.


This is my shadow while I'm on the bridge.


Cool...Clear...Water... And it's so blue too!


Behind Christina and me is the memorial house(?) built for a bunch of workers who died building part of a highway through the gorge. We walked along a cave/cliff trail to get there.


We found a spot to put our feet in the water. Hiking there was kind of hot, but the water was cool. While I was at Taroko, I kept looking around and asking myself, "Is this real life?" It was just so incredable. Like something you read in a book but only think you can go there in your imagination.


After Taroko Gorge, we rented some bikes and Toni and Greg Chu met up with us. We biked by Seven Star Lake. But it's really the ocean, I dont know why the call it a lake. I guess someone was confused.


Part of the trail. The bike I use from the preschool has really bad brakes, and only the front ones really work. On the other hand, the bike I was renting had good brakes. I almost threw myself over the handle bars a few times from braking too hard on the front wheels.


This is the big rock that tells you that you are at Seven Stars Lake.


We also biked around in there. It was super awesome. We went to the beach, and this time it really was a beach, and not just bunch of big rocks.





No comments:

Post a Comment